Simpson, S H
SIDNEY HERBERT SIMPSON
Remembered with honour Wimereux Communal Cemetery: Plot I, Row H, Grave 4A.
He enlisted in Mill Hill, Middx; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 26 August 1914, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Sidney’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Charlie/Charles and Sarah (nee PARKINS) SIMPSON of Watford.
His parents married 1892 in the Richmond, Surrey, district. Charles died 1935 in Watford aged 65, and was buried 29 July in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Sarah died 4 May 1940 in Watford aged 70, and was buried 9 May, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Sidney was born 24 or 25 November 1896 in Garston, Herts, and baptised 21 December 1896 at All Saints, Leavesden, Herts. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 8 January to 11 February 1907 and again from 18 March 1907 to 23 November 1910.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, aged 14 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death18/05/1915
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)