Gates, A J
ARTHUR JAMES GATES
Remembered with honour Etaples Military Cemetery: Plot II, Row A, Grave 5A.
He enlisted in Hertford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 23 January 1915, and died at 18 General Hospital, Treport, of wounds received in action. Mrs S GATES of Watford, makes application [for medals] in respect of her late son Pte Arthur James GATES. Unfortunately, Arthur’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Arthur in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 12 June 1915; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 10 June 1916 and 7 June 1919.
Son of James and Sarah (nee AMBRIDGE) GATES of Watford.
His parents married 29 April 1895 at St Giles’, Totternhoe, Beds. Sarah died 1943 in Oxhey, Herts, aged 78, and was buried 1 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; James died 16 July 1952 in Watford aged 83, and was buried 22 July, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Arthur was born 1895 in Watford, and resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, aged 15, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death06/06/1915
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)