Nash, F B
FRANK BRANCH NASH
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 9C.
He enlisted in London November 1914, and was formerly Private 391133 9th London Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 9 May 1915, and was reported missing 1 July 1916, presumed killed in action. Unfortunately, Frank’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There are articles about Frank in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 29 July 1916 and 28 April 1917; and a Grammar School Missing list in the issue dated 22 December 1917.
Son of Henry Edward and Alice Mary (nee BRANCH) NASH.
His parents married 1885 in the St George in the East, London, district. Henry died 1 August 1939 in Watford aged 77, and was buried 4 August in North Watford Cemetery; Alice died 2 October 1939 in Watford aged 77, and was buried 5 October, also in North Watford Cemetery.
Frank was born 14 August 1895 in Stepney, London, and attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 11 January 1904 to 20 January 1905 [sic]; then Alexandra School, Watford, from 10 January 1905 [sic] to 31 July 1907; finally Watford Grammar School from 16 September 1907 to December 1910. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Bushey, Herts, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, aged 15 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings.
Unit1st/9th (County of London) Battalion (Queen Victoria's Rifles)
Date of deathon or since 01/07/1916
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)