Pearce, E J or E W
ERNEST JAMES or ERNEST WILLIAM PEARCE
Remembered with honour Lapugnoy Military Cemetery: Plot X, Row C, Grave 8.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 4874 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Ernest’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Arthur and the late Sarah (nee ALDOUS) PEARCE; husband of Ethel Matilda (nee DRINKWATER) PEARCE.
His parents married 17 May 1885 at Holy Trinity, Frogmore, Herts. Sarah died 1913 in Watford aged 54, and was buried 29 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Arthur died 1926 in Watford aged 69, and was buried 16 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Ernest was born 11 March 1896 in Watford, and baptised 24 April 1896 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 8 January 1907 to 7 March 1910. He married 20 December 1916 at St Matthew’s, Willesden, London; they had one child. Ethel remarried 6 August 1922 at St Matthew’s, Willesden, to William PEARCE, and died 1986 in the Brent, Middx, district aged 87.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)