Fountain, F W J
FREDERICK WILLIAM JOHN FOUNTAIN
Remembered with honour Arras Memorial: Bay 5.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action during the Battle of Arras, the capture of Gavrelle. Unfortunately, Frederick’s Service record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Maria (nee ARMSTRONG) and the late William FOUNTAIN.
His parents married 24 December 1876 at St James’, Bushey, Herts. William died 1896 in Bushey aged 42, and was buried 12 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Maria died 1925 in Watford aged 71, and was buried 11 June, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Frederick was born 19 August 1881 in Bushey, and baptised 11 September 1881 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts, He resided in Oxhey.
On the 1891 Census, aged 10 he lived in Oxhey, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, a general labourer aged 19, he still lived in Oxhey, with his widowed mother and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a labourer aged 29 he still lived in Oxhey, with his widowed mother and one sibling.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)