Croft, E G
EDGAR GEORGE CROFT
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 6A and 6B.
He enlisted in London; was entitled to the Victory, British and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 7 March 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Edgar’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Caroline (nee ENGLAND) CROFT of Watford Fields, and the late George CROFT.
His parents married 10 October 1885 at All Saints, Leavesden, Herts. George possibly died 1899 in the Epsom, Surrey, district aged 37; Caroline died 1932 in Watford aged 68, and was buried 22 July in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
George was born 4 January 1890 in Leverstock Green, Herts, and baptised August 1890 at Holy Trinity, Leverstock Green. He resided in Watford.
On the 1891 Census, aged 1 he lived in Watford, with his mother and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, aged 11 he lived in Bushey, Herts, the nephew of George and Lydia ABBOTT. On the 1911 Census, a Private in the West Riding Regiment aged 22, he was stationed at Ambala, India.
Date of death12/10/1916
Age at death26
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)