Newcombe, A W or W A
ALFRED WILLIAM or WILLIAM ALFRED NEWCOMBE
Remembered with honour Philosophe British Cemetery: Plot I, Row S, Grave 16.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Alfred’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Betsy (nee EADE) NEWCOMBE.
Alfred EADE was born 14 September 1893 in Marylebone, London, and baptised 21 September 1893 at St Mark’s, Marylebone Road. He resided in Watford.
His mother married WIlliam NEWCOMBE 25 December 1893 at All Saints, South Lambeth, London. William died 30 May 1931 in South Lambeth aged 62; Betsy died 1956 in the Exeter, Devon, district aged 89.
On the 1901 Census, aged 7 he lived in South Lambeth, with his mother, step-father and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a grocer’s assistant aged 17, he still lived in South Lambeth, with his mother, step-father and one sibling.
Date of death27/06/1917
Age at death23
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)