Sills, T W
THOMAS WILLIAM SILLS
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 2C.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 27 April 1915, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Thomas’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Thomas in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 19 August 1916; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 26 July 1919.
Son of Christopher Thomas SILLS of Watford, and the late Alice Eliza (nee JUDGE) SILLS.
His parents married 11 May 1890 at St Mary’s, Watford. Alice died 1911 in Watford aged 48, and was buried 7 December in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Christopher died 1938 in Watford aged 81, and was buried 16 December, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Thomas was born 7 or 14 October 1892 in Watford, and baptised 11 January 1893 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 9 January 1899 to 11 October 1901; then Alexandra School, Watford, from 21 October 1901 to 12 October 1906. He resided in Watford, and was employed at the Cocoa Works.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a news vendor aged 18, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
Unit"D" Company, 1st Battalion
Date of death28/07/1916
Age at death24
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)