Remembered with honour Kezelberg Military Cemetery: Plot I, Row D, Grave 5.
He attested 12 December 1915 in Watford for Short Service (For the Duration of the War, with the Colours and in the Army Reserve): an electrician aged 34, 5’3½” tall, C of E of Watford. He enlisted as Private 39864 Suffolk Regiment; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of broncho-pneumonia at 64 Casualty Clearing Station.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 23 November 1918.
Son of Letitia Rose (nee EUINTON) HOLMES of Hemel Hempstead, Herts, and the late William George HOLMES; husband of Emily (nee SKINNER) HOLMES of Watford.
His parents married 26 December 1876 at St Mary’s, Hemel Hempstead. William died 1894 in the Hemel Hempstead district aged 37, and was buried 28 July in Heath Lane Cemetery, Hemel Hempstead; Letitia died 1920 in the Willesden, Middx, district aged 63, and was buried 6 April, also in Heath Lane Cemetery.
George was born 1881 in Hemel Hempstead, and baptised 4 December 1881 at St Paul’s, Hemel Hempstead. He married 8 June 1908 at St Mary the Virgin, Kensworth, Beds; they had one child. Emily never remarried.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 9 he lived in Hemel Hempstead, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1901 Census, a commercial clerk aged 19, he still lived in Hemel Hempstead, with his widowed mother and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a telegraph construction labourer aged 29, he lived in Watford, with his wife and one child.
Unit"L" Signal Battalion
Date of death06/11/1918
Age at death37
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)