Bruty, F C [or F G]
FREDERICK CHARLES BRUTY
Remembered with honour Helles Memorial: Panel 2 to 7.
He enlisted in London 14 August 1914: a wireman, a Wesleyan, 5’6½“ tall. He embarked with the Royal Marine Brigade 20 November 1914. He went with the Deal Battalion as part of the Marine Expeditionary Force 28 February 1915, and was discharged dead 20 May 1915. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and Star medals, his qualifying date being 14 August 1914, and was killed or died as a direct result of enemy action. He was buried in Rest Camp Cemetery, Cape Helles, Gallipoli, by the Rev. B J FAILES; his mother of Watford was notified of his death.
There is an article about Frederick in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 12 June 1915, as well as In Memoriams in the issues dated 27 May 1916, 19 May 1917, 18 May 1918 and 24 May 1919.
Son of Alfred and Mary Ann (nee WHYMARK) BRUTY.
His parents married 3 September 1881 at St Mary’s, Lambeth, London. Alfred died 1901 in the St Alban’s, Herts, district aged 40; Mary died possibly 1927 in the West Bromwich, Staffs, district aged 66.
Frederick’s date of birth was given as 30 November 1890 and he was born in Hackney, London, or Wanstead, London, but his birth was registered in the Hackney district.
On the 1891 Census, aged 1 he lived in Hackney, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 11 he lived in St Alban’s, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a trooper with the 2nd Battalion Life Guards aged 21, he was stationed in barracks in the Mayfair/Knightsbridge, London, area.
UnitDeal Battalion, Royal Naval Division
Date of death20/05/1915
Age at death24
Place of death
NotesRecorded in the Borough Roll of Honour as BRUTY F G
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)