Remembered with honour Madras 1914-1918 War Memorial: Face 30; buried in Roorkee Cemetery, India.
He was Second Lieutenant in the Indian Army Reserve of Officers, and accidentally drowned in the Ganges Canal at Roorkee 16* February 1918. He appears to have no medals, nor an entry in Soldiers Died in the Great War.
There is an article about Ralph in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 27 April 1918.
Son of Mary (nee MESSER) and the late Stephen BEESON.
His parents married 2 November 1867 at St Helen’s, Wheathampstead, Herts. Stephen died 26 February 1914 in Rickmansworth, Herts, aged 69, and was buried 3 March at St Mary’s, Rickmansworth; Mary died 11 March 1926 in Rickmansworth aged 77.
Ralph was born 16 February (or 10 January) 1989 in Rickmansworth, and baptised 26 March 1889 at St Mary’s, Rickmansworth. He attended Watford Grammar School from September 1899 to July 1905.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in Rickmansworth, with his parents and nine siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 12 he still lived in Rickmansworth, with his parents and eight siblings. On the 1911 Census, a motor car engineering apprentice aged 22, he was a boarder in Luton, Beds.
Date of death15*/02/1918
Age at death29
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)