Remembered with honour Ste Marie Cemetery: Division 3, Row K, Grave 8.
He attested September 1914 at Kensington, London, in the Territorial Force 4 years service in the U.K.: aged 21, 5’10” tall, Private 3190 13th (Reserve) Battalion, London Regiment (Kensington Rifles); next-of-kin his father of Watford. He served at Home 3 September 1914 to 4 March 1915, and was discharged in consequence of being granted a commission in the 11th Loyal Lancashire Regiment 14 April 1915. He served with the B.E.F. in France from 5 May 1915, embarking from Southampton. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star Medals, his qualifying date being 6 March 1915; the medals were sent to his mother of Watford. He was wounded in action 3 September 1916 and died of the wounds at No. 2 General Hospital, Havre.
There are articles about Hubert in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 24 April 1915 and 14 October 1916; plus a Death announcement in the issue dated 21 October 1916.
Son of John Gibbs and Clara Helena (nee CROPP) RODWELL of Watford.
His parents married 15 December 1873 at Holy Trinity, Wonston, Hants. John died 12 March 1920 in London W, aged 69, and was buried 18 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Clara died 9 December 1928 in Watford aged 74, and was buried 13 December, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Hubert was born 3 December 1893 in Watford, and baptised 19 February 1894 at St Mary’s, Watford.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 7 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, an auctioneer’s clerk aged 17, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Unit9th Battalion, attached 11th Battalion
Date of death10/10/1916
Age at death22
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)