Stavert, G J
GEORGE JAMES STAVERT
Remembered with honour Helles Memorial: Panel 8 to 15.
He enlisted 4 August 1914, and was in the Machine Gun section from 22 December 1914. He was killed or died as a direct result of enemy action, and buried in the rear of Trench No. 11E at Gallipoli. His mother of Oxhey, Herts, was notified. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 7 August 1915.
Son of Annie (nee TIMBERLAKE) STAVERT of Oxhey, and the late Robert Elliott STAVERT.
His parents married 24 April 1879 at St Pancras Parish Church, London. Robert died 4 August 1899 in Watford aged 61, and was buried 5 August in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Annie died 4 December 1928 in Oxhey aged 93, and was buried 7 December at St James’, Bushey, Herts.
George was born 18 June 1893 in Bushey, and baptised 8 October 1893 at St James’, Bushey. He was employed by the London and North Western Railway Company as a junior clerk in the Secretary’s Department, Euston.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 7 he lived in Bushey, with his widowed mother and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a railway clerk with the London & North-Western Railway aged 17, he still lived in Bushey, with his widowed mother and three siblings.
Service numberLondon 9/3269
UnitDrake Battalion, Royal Naval Division
Date of death14/07/1915
Age at death21*
Place of death
NotesHis brother Robert died 25 August 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)