Culling, V J
VICTOR JAMES CULLING
Remembered with honour Great Warley (Lorne Road) Cemetery: Row H, Grave 75.
He attested 10 December 1915 in Watford: an assistant surveyor of taxes aged 22, 5’7″ tall, C of E, of Bushey, Herts; his next-of-kin was his father. He appears to have no medals, and died at the Military Hospital, Warley, of pneumonia.
There is a Death announcement for Victor in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 9 November 1918.
Son of James William Henry and the late Florence Emily (nee HEATH) CULLING.
His parents married 20 September 1894 at St John the Evangelist, Forton, Hants. Florence died 1908 in the Hendon, Middx, district aged 38. James remarried 29 July 1909 at St Matthew’s, Willesden, London, to Edith Winifred Maude TAYLOR. James died 30 January 1949 in Bushey aged 78; Edith died 6 December 1969 in Leicester aged 87.
Victor was born 18 November 1895 in Hampstead, London, and baptised 9 December 1895 at St Cuthbert’s, West Hampstead. He resided in Bushey. An entry in the London Gazette dated 2 October 1914 records his appointment as Assistant Surveyor of Taxes.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Hampstead, with his grandparents. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 15, he lived in Bushey, with his father, step-mother and two siblings.
Unit28th (County of London) Battalion (Artists' Rifles)
Date of death28/10/1918
Age at death23
Place of death
NotesHis brother Harold died 7 July 1916 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)