Lehrle, (J) T H
JAMES THOMAS HALE LEHRLE
Remembered with honour Bouchier New British Cemetery: Plot V, Row A, Grave 9.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 3528 19th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment (St Pancras Rifles). He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was presumed killed in action. Unfortunately, James’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There are Death announcements for James in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 19 April 1919 and 26 April 1919.
Son of Thomas and Sarah Ann (nee HALE) LEHRLE of Watford; husband of Louisa Mary (nee REEVE(S)) LEHRLE of Watford.
His parents married 13 September 1886 at St Peter’s, St Alban’s, Herts. Sarah died 1928 in Watford aged 68, and was buried 26 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Thomas died 8 March 1948 in Watford aged 85, and was buried 11 March, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
James was born 16 September 1887 in St Alban’s, and attended St Andrew’s Boys’ School, Watford, from 5 February 1894. He married 5 July 1911 at St Mary’s, Watford. Louisa never remarried, and died 1973 in the Hemel Hempstead, Herts, district aged 85.
On the 1891 Census, aged 3 he lived in Watford, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, aged 13 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a picture framer and gilder aged 23, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
UnitNo. 3 Company, 15th Battalion
Date of death24*/03/1918
Age at death30*
Place of death
NotesRecorded as LEHRLE T H in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)