MacMillan/McMillan, G H
GEORGE HENRY McMILLAN
Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 46 to 48 and 50.
He enlisted in London; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 21 May 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Theresa (nee LAKE) and the late Daniel John McMILLAN.
His parents married 1887 in the Wandsworth, London, district. Daniel died 1907 in the Kingston, Surrey, district aged 65; Theresa died 1939 in the Hastings, Sussex, district aged 87.
George was born 14 February 1895 in Tooting, London, and baptised 2 June 1895 at St Nicholas’, Tooting Graveny. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Tooting, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, an assistant baker aged 16, he lived in Watford, with his widowed mother and four siblings.
Date of death09/08/1915
Age at death20
Place of death
NotesHis half-brother William GIBBS died 13 May 1915 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)