Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: Panels 79 to 80 and 162.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Ernest’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Daniel NORWOOD of Eccles, Lancs, and the late Mary (nee HARTNUPP) NORWOOD; husband of Nellie Hilda Marie (nee TUDOR) NORWOOD of Clun, Salop.
His parents married 1883 at St Mary’s, Eccles. Mary died 1903 aged 46; Daniel died 1921 aged 89; both in the Barton upon Irwell, Lancs, district.
Ernest was born 18 January 1884 in Eccles, and baptised 29 April 1884 at the Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Eccles. He married 1912 at St George’s, Clun, and resided in Watford. Nellie never remarried and died 12 August 1955 in Oswestry, Salop, aged 67.
On the 1891 Census, aged 7 he lived in Eccles, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, a warehouse clerk aged 17, he still lived in Eccles, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1911 Census, a mercantile clerk aged 27, he still lived in Eccles, with his widowed father and three siblings.
Date of death21/09/1917
Age at death33
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)