Hill, A E
ARTHUR EDWARD HILL
Remembered with honour Pozieres Memorial: Panel 61 to 64.
He enlisted in Bedford, and was formerly TR/10/7293 Training Reserve Battalion. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Arthur’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Edward Charles and Minnie (nee BATCHELAR) HILL.
His parents married 26 December 1896 at St Mary’s, Watford. Minnie died 1949 in Watford aged 77, and was buried 31 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Edward died 1959 in Watford aged 86, and was buried 5 February, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Arthur was born 11 or 13 January 1899 in Lambeth, London, and baptised 26 February 1899 at St Philip’s, Lambeth. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 3 September 1907 to 7 January 1913. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 12, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings.
Date of death21-27/03/1918
Age at death19
Place of death
NotesArthur is also commemorated on his parent's grave in Vicarage Road Cemetery
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)