Appleton, H E
HENRY ERNEST APPLETON
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 13A and 13B.
His attestation was for Short Service (For the Duration of the War), with no previous service in any branch of His Majesty’s Forces. He enlisted 20 November 1915 in Watford: a grocer’s assistant aged 19, 5’4″ tall, of Watford, and joined the Battalion 23 November 1915 at Winchester. He embarked 14 April 1916 at Folkestone on board SS Invicta to join the base depot at Etaples. He proceeded to join his Battalion in the Field 11 May 1916 where, apart from a few days in October spent at 101 Field Ambulance and 19 Casualty Clearing Station, he remained until he was killed in action. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals.
Son of Harry and Harriet Elizabeth (nee CREED) APPLETON.
His parents married 13 August 1894 at All Saints, King’s Langley, Herts. Harry died 1953 in Watford aged 88, and was buried 19 December in North Watford Cemetery; Harriet died 2 September 1964 in Watford aged 93, and was buried 7 September, also in North Watford Cemetery.
Henry was born 3 September1896 in Watford, and baptised 1 November 1896 at All Saints, King’s Langley. He attended first Sotheron Road Infants School, Watford; then Callowland Board School, Watford, from 11 January 1904 to 4 May 1904.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, Ernest aged 14 still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death06/11/1916
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)