Gough, C R
CYRIL ROWLAND/ROLAND GOUGH
Remembered with honour Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery: Plot V, Row E, Grave 5.
He enlisted in Hertford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 21 January 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Cyril’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about Cyril in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 27 January 1917.
Son of the late Richard and Elizabeth (nee BEESLEY) GOUGH of Watford.
His parents married 1887 in the Banbury, Oxon, district. Emma died 1901 in Watford aged 43, and was buried 1 February in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford. Richard remarried 28 September 1901 at St Mary’s, Watford, to Mary Ann WELLS. He died 1913 in Bushey, Herts, aged 60, and was buried 11 January also in Vicarage Road Cemetery; Mary died 1943 in the Watford district aged 88.
Cyril was born 20 May 1895 in Watford, and attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 6 January 1902 to 16 July 1903. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his widowed father and six siblings. On the 1911 Census, a baker’s boy aged 15, he still lived in Watford, with his father, step-mother and two siblings.
Date of death12/01/1917
Age at death22
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)