Roberson/Robarson, J W
JOHN WILLIAM ROBERSON
Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: Panel 2 to 3 and 162 to 162A.
He enlisted in Stratford, London, 30 June 1916, and was formerly Private 291091 with the 1/7th Cyclist Battalion, Devon Regiment until 15 June 1917. On 10 July 1917 he proceeded on draft to Anson Battalion as part of the B.E.F. He was killed or died as a direct result of enemy action; his mother of Hackney, London, was notified of his death. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals.
Son of Esther Louisa (nee GRAVENOR) and the late James William ROBARSON.
His parents married 1 April 1898 [sic] at St Thomas’, Bethnal Green, London. James died 1906 in the Bethnal Green district aged 55; Esther died 1937 in Watford aged 82, and was buried 7 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
John was born 22 September 1890 [sic] in Bethnal Green.
On the 1891 Census, aged 6 months he lived in Bethnal Green, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, at school aged 10, he still lived in Bethnal Green, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a greengrocer aged 20, he still lived in Bethnal Green, with his widowed mother and three siblings.
UnitAnson Battalion, Royal Naval Division
Date of death26/10/1917
Age at death27
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)