Prior, W J
WILLIAM JOHN PRIOR
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 2C.
He enlisted in Hertford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 11 October 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of the late Alexander and Hannah (nee SMITH) PRIOR.
His parents married 15 April 1876 at St Mary’s, Albury, Herts. Hannah died 1885 in the Bishop’s Stortford, Herts, district aged 35, and was buried 19 September at St Michael’s, Bishop’s Stortford. Alexander remarried 11 April 1887 at St Michael’s, Bishop’s Stortford, to Mary Ann PRIOR. He died 1909 aged 59; Mary died 1928 aged 90; both in the Bishop’s Stortford district.
William was born 1878 in Albury, Herts, and baptised 15 September 1878 at St Mary’s, Albury. He resided in Bishop’s Stortford.
On the 1881 Census, aged 2 he lived in Bishop’s Stortford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 12 he still lived in Bishop’s Stortford, with his father, step-mother and seven siblings. On the 1901 Census, a house painter aged 22, he still lived in Bishop’s Stortford, with his father, step-mother and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a cellar labourer aged 32, he still lived in Bishop’s Stortford, with his widowed step-mother and one sibling.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)