Bird, E S
ERIC STEPHEN BIRD
Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Cemetery: Plot XVIII, Row E, Grave 22.
He attested 1 September 1914 in the Territorial Force for 4 years service in the U.K.: a woollen merchant aged 21, 5’9″ tall, and was Private 1898 28th (County of London) Battalion London Regiment (Artists’ Rifles). He served at Home 1 September to 28 December 1914; then with the B.E.F. from 29 December 1914 to 23 April 1915, during which time he was admitted to Stationery Hospital No. 14 Boulogne, 12 April 1915, suffering from German measles, and sent to England aboard Hospital Ship St Andrew 23 April 1915. He served at Home from 24 April to 6 October 1915, and was appointed Lance-Corporal 15 May 1915. He was gazetted 8 October 1915 to be Second Lieutenant (on probation) with the 3rd Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 29 December 1914; the Star medal was applied for by his father of Windsor, Berks. He was killed in action.
There is an article about Eric in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 6 July 1918.
Son of Stephen and Lillian Louisa (nee BROAD) BIRD.
His parents married 28 June 1890 in the Hammersmith, London, district. Stephen died 27 February 1931 in Stoke Poges, Bucks, aged 70; Lillian died 24 March 1955, also in Stoke Poges, aged 86.
Eric was born 15 April 1893 in High Wycombe, Bucks.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 7 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, he was a student aged 17 at Bradfield College, Berks.
Unit6th Battalion, attached 8th Battalion
Date of death12/08/1917
Age at death24
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)