Vale, C S M
CYRIL SIDNEY MERRALLS VALE
Remembered with honour Terlincthun British Cemetery: Plot II, Row E, Grave 35.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received at Aveluy Wood. Unfortunately, Cyril’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Cyril in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 31 August 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 30 August 1919.
Son of Reynold(s) VALE of Oxhey, Herts, and the late Elizabeth Ann (nee WATSON) VALE.
His parents married 18 April 1881 at St Mary the Virgin, Dover, Kent. Elizabeth died 1906 in Oxhey aged 52, and was buried 2 June at St James’, Bushey, Herts; Reynold died 9 January 1932 in Oxhey aged 75, and was buried 13 January, also at St James.
Cyril was born 13 June 1899 in Oxhey, and baptised 9 July 1899 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey. He attended Watford Grammar School from January 1807 to December 1914, and resided in Oxhey.
On the 1901 Census, aged 1 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a school boy aged 11, he lived in Oxhey, with his widowed father and one sibling.
Date of death27/08/1918
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)