Remembered with honour Arras Memorial: Bay 7.
He enlisted in Hackney, Middx; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Aubrey’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Elizabeth (nee WOODLEY) and the late Charles SMITH.
His parents married 2 March 1890 at St James the Great, Hackney. Charles died 1913 aged 45; Elizabeth died 1932 aged 68; both in the Hackney district.
Aubrey was born 27 December 1892 in Hackney, and baptised 5 February 1893 at St Matthew’s, Upper Clapton, Middx. He resided in Clapton Park.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Hackney, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a printer’s labourer aged 18, he lived in Upper Clapton, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death12/05/1917
Age at death23
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)