Allen, A E
ALBERT ERNEST ALLEN
Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: Panel 1 and 162A.
He enlisted in London 17 August 1915: an engineer aged 25, 5’6″ tall, C of E, his next-of-kin his mother of Watford. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was assumed killed or died as a direct result of enemy action.
Son of Emma (nee COLLINS) ALLEN of Watford, and the late Charles ALLEN.
His parents married 27 November 1869 at St Mary’s, Watford. Charles died 1914 in Watford aged 67, and was buried 4 August in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Emma died 1934 in the St Alban’s, Herts, district aged 74.
Albert was born 17 December 1889 in Wood Green, Middx.
On the 1891 Census, aged 1 he lived in Wood Green, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 10 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, employed at a watch factory aged 21, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and no siblings.
Unit1st Royal Marine Battalion, Royal Navy Division
Date of death28/10/1917
Age at death28
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)