Owen, A J [or A K]
ARTHUR JOHN OWEN
Remembered with honour Pozieres Memorial: Panel 5.
He enlisted in Mill Hill, London; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 12 September 1914, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Arthur’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Arthur in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 27 April 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 29 March 1919.
Son of Thomas and Alice Jane (nee WILSON) OWEN of Watford.
His parents married 4 June 1881 at All Saints, Croxley Green, Herts. Alice died 1946 aged 88; Thomas died 1947 aged 89; both in the Watford district.
Arthur was born 1895 in Croxley Green, and baptised 28 April 1895 at St Andrew’s, Watford. He resided in Watford, and worked as a motor driver at the Watford Co-operative Society.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Croxley Green, with his parents and seven siblings. On the 1911 Census, a shop assistant aged 16, he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of death26/03/1918
Age at death23
Place of death
NotesRecorded as OWEN A K, Cpl, in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)