Cox, W W
WILLIAM WALTER COX
Remembered with honour Hollybrook Memorial.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 3423 Yeomanry Cyclists. He served at Home 15 February to 27 March 1918, and with the B.E.F. from 28 March 1918. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at sea*.
Son of William Walter and Alice (nee SMITH) COX.
His parents married 5 February 1898 at St Mary’s, Watford. Alice died 1924 in Watford aged 48, and was buried 12 April in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; William died 1960 in the St Pancras, London, district aged 85.
William was born 2 August 1898 in Watford, and baptised 16 February 1900 at Christ Church, Watford. He attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 10 January 1905 to 4 October 1912. He was awarded a watch 17 January 1913 for five year’s perfect attendance.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 12, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling.
Date of death28/12/1918
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)