Tompkins, C A
CYRIL ALFRED TOMPKINS
Remembered with honour Adanac Military Cemetery: Plot IV, Row D, Grave 38.
He enlisted April 1917 in Watford, and was formerly Private 45961 3rd Battalion SuffolK Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action at Achiet-le-Petit. Unfortunately, Cyril’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Cyril in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 28 September 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 23 August 1919.
Son of Arthur and Annie Elizabeth (nee DELL) TOMPKINS.
His parents married 17 February 1890 at St Lawrence’s, Abbot’s Langley, Herts. Arthur died 12 July 1921 in Watford aged 58, and was buried 14 July in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Annie died 7 August 1955 in Watford aged 85, and was buried 10 August, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Cyril was born 4 October 1898 in Croxley Green, Herts, and baptised 1 January 1899 at All Saints, Croxley Green. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 8 January 1907 to 28 July 1910. He won a County Scholarship to Watford Grammar School, from September 1910 to July 1913. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Croxley Green, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 12, he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death23/08/1918
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)