Smith, G W
GEORGE WILLIAM SMITH
Remembered with honour Warloy-Baillon Communal Cemetery Extension: Plot I, Row B, Grave 9.
He enlisted in Mansfield, Notts; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 27 August 1915, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Eliza Ann (nee MARSHALL) SMITH of Newark, Notts.
George MARSHALL was born 23 July 1894 in Newark, and baptised 7 September 1894 at St Leonard’s, Newark. He resided in Watford.
His mother married George SMITH 7 October 1894 at St Leonard’s, Newark. Eliza died 1931 in the Newark district aged 67, and was buried 31 January in Newark Cemetery; George died 1938 in the Newark district aged 67, and was buried 28 January, also in Newark Cemetery.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Barnsley, Yorks, with his mother, step-father and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a labourer aged 17, he lived in Newark, with his mother, step-father and five siblings.
Date of death03/07/1916
Age at death22
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)