Durley, G W
GEORGE WILLIAM DURLEY
Remembered with honour Becourt Military Cemetery: Plot II, Row A, Grave 11.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an In Memoriam for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 30 August 1919.
Son of George William and Bridget Mary (nee WARD) DURLEY of Bushey, Herts.
His parents married 29 December 1891 at St Patrick’s, Cork, Ireland. George died 9 November 1935 in Watford aged 65, and was buried 15 November at St James’, Bushey; Bridget died 13 April 1955 in Bushey aged 84, and was buried 20 April, also at St James.
George was born 11 July 1899 in Portsmouth, Hants, and baptised 30 July 1899 in Portsmouth. He resided in Bushey.
On the 1901 Census, the family were probably in South Africa where George senior was stationed. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 11, he lived in Bushey, with his parents and five siblings.
Date of death23/08/1918
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)