Broad, F B
FRANCIS BOASE BROAD
Remembered with honour Montay-Neuvilly Road Cemetery: Plot IV, Row B, Grave 7.
He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 26 May 1915, and was killed in action. The medals were sent to his father of Watford. The award of the Military Cross was gazetted 24 September 1918.
There are articles about Francis in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 12 June 1915, 5 August 1916, 27 July 1918, 5 October 1918, and 9 November 1918; with a Death announcement in the last issue.
Son of Thomas John and Amelia Florence (nee COLES) BROAD of Watford.
His parents married 24 May 1893 at St Andrew’s, Watford. Thomas died 14 December 1920 in Watford aged 68, and was buried 17 December in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Amelia died 13 April 1930 in Watford aged 62, and was buried 16 April, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
There is an article about Amelia in Watford in the 20th Century volume 1, amongst the Movers and Shakers.
Francis was born 20 April 1895 in Watford, and baptised 30 June 1895 at St Andrew’s, Watford.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a student aged 15, he lived in Ramsgate, Kent.
Date of death24/10/1918
Age at death23
Place of death
NotesFrancis is also commemorated on his parent's grave in Vicarage Road Cemetery. His brother John died 23 March 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)