This early nineteenth-century grade II listed building marked the former entrance to the park from the north. Although sometimes referred to as Toll Gate Cottage, this building was never used as a toll house. Instead from 1762-1872 tolls were collected by the Sparrow’s Herne Turnpike Trust at a gate in the Hempstead Road.
Toll Gate Cottage was originally designed to house two families. It was divided horizontally with one family living on the ground floor and one on the first floor connected by an external staircase.
Please note this is a private building. There is no public access.